Movistar Yamaha’s Maverick Vinales put down the fastest lap of the MotoGP Phillip Island test on Day 3. Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez followed in second-position followed by Marquez’s teammate, Dani Pedrosa, in third.
Vinales also earned honors for the most laps of the day, completing 101 rotations. Two late session, 20 lap stints bolstered the Spaniard’s productivity. In both cases, he was able to run consistently in the 1:29 range. That, according to Team Director Massimo Meregalli, suggests the team has been successful in its efforts to prolong rear tire life, a primary goal for the coming season. No decision was made regarding the chassis Vinales will use at the start of the season however.
Marquez celebrated his 24th birthday with another strong showing, later saying he was pleased with the strides made after his long runs on Day 2. This helped to get a better electronics set-up, according to the defending champion.
Pedrosa overcame the touch of sickness that had affected him the day before to get through much of his planned testing schedule. He was unable to log a longer run before the close of the final session though.
Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Jonas Folger ends as the fastest rookie rider of the Phillip Island test, finishing Day 3 in fourth-position. LCR Honda’s Cal Crutchlow followed in fifth with Team Suzuki Ecstar’s Ales Rins trailing in sixth. Rins did take a little spill during the day but it was minor and he was unaffected by the incident, righting the bike and returning to action.
Behind the Suzuki rider, Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso and Jorge Lorenzo claimed seventh and eighth on the timesheet, respectively.
“Today we made an important step forward to better understanding the bike, just like we did on the final day of the test in Sepang, and my lap times improved a lot,” Lorenzo said in a team press release. “It was a pity that we were not able to use the soft tire this morning, when the track conditions were ideal, because I think I could have got my time down by another three-tenths. But, as I said, for me at this moment the times are not as important as the feeling on the bike and understanding the most efficient way to ride it. For the moment we’ve still got a lot of work to do, especially to get the bike to turn in the corners. In any case, all things considered, I think that we finished this test in quite a positive way.”
Marc VDS’ Jack Miller placed ninth with Aprilia Racing Team Gresini’s Aleix Espargaro rounding out the top-10.
Teams now have close to a month to implement the changes necessary before the next and final preseason test in Qatar. The 2017 MotoGP season opener at Losail International Circuit is March 26.
2017 MotoGP Phillip Island Test Day 3 Results
1. Maverick Vinales (Yamaha) 1:28.549
2. Marc Marquez (Honda) 1:28.843
3. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 1:29.033
4. Jonas Folger (Yamaha) 1:29.042
5. Cal Crutchlow (Honda) 1:29.101
6. Alex Rins (Suzuki) 1:29.103
7. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 1:29.248
8. Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati) 1:29.342
9. Jack Miller (Honda) 1:29.358
10. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia) 1:29.361
11. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 1:29.470
12. Andrea Iannone (Suzuki) 1:29.547
13. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati) 1:29.615
14. Johann Zarco (Yamaha) 1:29.670
15. Hector Barbera (Ducati) 1:29.791
16. Pol Espargaro (KTM) 1:29.857
17. Loris Baz (Ducati) 1:29.977
18. Bradley Smith (KTM) 1:29.978
19. Alvaro Bautista (Ducati) 1:29.984
20. Scott Redding (Ducati) 1:30.005
21. Sam Lowes (Aprilia) 1:30.200
22. Karel Abraham (Ducati) 1:30.452