Maverick Viñales (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) kept his top spot on the combined timesheets after FP3 at Losail International Circuit, with his Friday stunner remaining unchallenged by the grid. The Spaniard also suffered his first Yamaha crash in an official session earlier in the day. Andrea Iannone (Team Suzuki Ecstar) was the late superstar of FP3, moving up from P17 to second overall and just beating reigning Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) to P2.
The conditions were dry despite fears about the weather and stint of bad weather earlier in the day – with the grid given the chance to improve and fight it out for entry to Q2.
Behind Marquez was an impressive dash from reigning Moto2™ Champion Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech 3), who took over from his teammate Jonas Folger as fastest rookie on the overall timesheets. Folger is eighth on combined times, and also goes safely through to the Q2 qualifying session despite a crash.
Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) completed the top five overall after the three sessions, ahead of FP2’s fastest man Scott Redding (Octo Pramac Racing). Redding also suffered two incidents in FP3 – with damage to his fairing followed by a late crash. Repsol Honda Team’s Dani Pedrosa was seventh fastest, only 0.028 off the Brit.
Behind Folger was fellow crasher LCR Honda rider Cal Crutchlow, who took ninth despite the late incident. Nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) just completed the top ten as the last of those graduating automatically to Q2 – in by 0.021.
Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team) had a tougher second day, ending twelfth on combined times and missing the cut by only half a tenth.
The grid head out for FP4 at 19:55 local time (GMT + 3) on Saturday evening, before Q1 chooses two more graduates for Q2 – and then first grid of the year gets decided…
2017 MotoGP Qatar Combined Practice Times Through FP3
1. Maverick Vinales (Yamaha) 1:54.316 FP1
2. Andrea Iannone (Suzuki) 1:54.848 FP3
3. Marc Marquez (Honda) 1:54.912 FP1
4. Johann Zarco (Yamaha) 1:55.008 FP3
5. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 1:55.042 FP3
6. Scott Redding (Ducati) 1:55.085 FP2
7. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 1:55.113 FP3
8. Jonas Folger (Yamaha) 1:55.208 FP2
9. Cal Crutchlow (Honda) 1:55.211 FP3
10. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 1:55.414 FP2
11. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati) 1:55.435 FP3
12. Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati) 1:55.461 FP3
13. Alvaro Bautista (Ducati) 1:55.581 FP2
14. Loris Baz (Ducati) 1:55.624 FP1
15. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia) 1:55.634 FP3
16. Jack Miller (Honda) 1:55.959 FP2
17. Karel Abraham (Ducati) 1:56.003 FP2
18. Alex Rins (Suzuki) 1:56.179 FP2
19. Tito Rabat (Honda) 1:56.368 FP2
20. Hector Barbera (Ducati) 1:56.725
21. Sam Lowes (Aprilia) 1:56.854 FP3
22. Pol Espargaro (KTM) 1:57.116 FP2
23. Bradley Smith (KTM) 1:57.654 FP3