Maverick Viñales (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) took pole position on his penultimate lap in qualifying for the Gran Premio Tribul Mastercard di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini, deposing home hero and key Championship rival Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team), who will now start second. Completing the top three is reigning Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team), who crashed in the session when on his fastest lap – rider ok.
Despite doubts about the weather, Saturday gave the grid good conditions for practice and qualifying at Misano, and pole position came down to a three-way duel. Dovizioso was the man on provisional pole as Viñales and Marquez began their final pushes, with the younger Spaniard going fastest on his penultimate effort and then rolling off after Marquez fell out of contention.
Fourth was a late dash from Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda), riding with a finger injury, and the Brit headed five-time World Champion Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team) by only 0.024 seconds. Joining the experienced duo on Row 2 is rookie Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech 3), who bounced back from a crash on Saturday morning to take a second row start in sixth.
Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda Team) is seventh – one place higher than his qualifying position last year, when he went on to win – with Friday’s fastest Danilo Petrucci (Octo Pramac Racing) taking eighth. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) moved up slightly on his last lap, and completes the third row in P9.
Alvaro Bautista (Pull&Bear Aspar Team) is P10 after leading the charge from Q1, with Ducati test rider and wildcard Michele Pirro suffering a problem in the session and lining up in eleventh. Karel Abraham (Pull&Bear Aspar Team) completed the top twelve.
From Q1, P13 is Hector Barbera (Reale Avintia Racing) despite a big crash earlier on Saturday, with Jack Miller (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) in fourteenth after having a lap deleted. Loris Baz (Reale Avintia Racing) locked out the fastest fifteen, with Jonas Folger (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) also falling foul of track limits and relegated to P16 after marginally heading wide in Q1.
Now it’s race time. Will we see a re-run of 2017 and the number 26 slicing through the field? Can Marquez bounce back, Viñales go one better, Dovizioso make it three in a row? And the big question: will it be rain or shine on Sunday…
2017 MotoGP Misano Qualifying Results
1. Maverick Vinales (Yamaha) 1’32.439
2. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 1’32.601
3. Marc Marquez (Honda) 1’32.636
4. Cal Crutchlow (Honda) 1’32.768
5. Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati) 1’32.792
6. Johann Zarco (Yamaha) 1’32.885
7. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 1’32.992
8. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati) 1’32.997
9. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia) 1’33.149
10. Alvaro Bautista (Ducati) 1’33.417
11. Michele Pirro (Ducati) 1’33.491
12. Karel Abraham (Ducati) 1’34’374
13. Hector Barbera (Ducati) 1’33.920
14. Jack Miller (Honda) 1’33.933
15. Loris Baz (Ducati) 1’33.946
16. Jonas Folger (Yamaha) 1’33.987
17. Pol Espargaro (KTM) 1’34.080
18. Tito Rabat (Honda) 1’34.095
19. Scott Redding (Ducati) 1’34.132
20. Alex Rins (Suzuki) 1’34.138
21. Andrea Iannone (Suzuki) 1’34.148
22. Bradley Smith (KTM) 1’34.507
23. Sam Lowes (Aprilia) 1’35.659
Courtesy of MotoGP